Philippa is a freelance contemporary dance artist trained in ballet, modern, and jazz from the age of four. Myler currently dances with Karin Stevens Dance and is Associate Director with Ktisk Contemporary dance in Seattle, WA, choreographing and performing with the company. Myler has danced for Anna O’Conner in Velocity’s Bridge Project, Sarah Kathryn-Olds’s Serendipity Dance Brigade, Xaviera Vandermay’s 3rd Shift Dance, Coleman Pester (Tectonic Marrow Society), Connie Villines (re:flexion) and Erin Boyt’s Version Excursion. Myler has had the privilege of dancing for choreographers Barbara Bourget and Jay Hirabayashi of Vancouver’s Kokoro Dance, Kim Robards in Denver, CO, and Seattle’s Pat Graney. In 2013, she spent an inspirational two months in as Artist in Residence with Fiji’s VOU Dance, performing, teaching, and choreographing on the company. After graduating with a BA in dance and a BFA in English from Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada, Myler co-founded the collective Triadic Dance Works, which has performed original works in Canada, the US, and Germany. In addition to showing short works at festivals in the Vancouver area, Myler has been twice commissioned to choreograph a full evening of work for Port Moody’s Wearable Art Awards Show. Myler avidly pursues knowledge of many different ways of moving, including African dance, the traditional dance forms of the Pacific Islands, capoeira, and aerial silks and loves to share her lifelong passion for dance with the next generation by teaching creative movement, contemporary modern, jazz, hip hop, and ballet to students of all ages.
Posts by Philippa Myler:
- DanceCrush Spotlight: Paige Barnes Bridges Dance and Eastern Medicine
- Group Dynamics in Whim’s Sensation
- The Snowman Stirs Memories of Beloved Children’s Holiday Classic
- Male Muses and Musings: Men in Dance Weekend II
- Conflict and Cohesion at Strictly Seattle
- Emotions Manifest in Whim’s OUT-spoken
- Seattle Remembers the Grunge Days
- Celebrating a Decade of Dance at Full Tilt
- Learning to Be Human: Being.
- Havana by Day: Malpaso Dance Company